The weeks are flying by so fast. Yesterday, it finally hit me: I have little less than a month left in Seattle. I was sad at first, knowing I would have to leave this lifestyle and get back to college. I looked through the video I’m making for the summer and remembered all the fun I’ve had and all my good memories were so worth it. I’m so glad I chose to come to Microsoft and explore Seattle because it’s been one of my most fun summers yet. If this is even marginally close to the life of a full-time employee, I’m all in.

On 4th of July, Ryan, a friend from Rice, invited me to his house for a small gathering. I got to meet a lot of his high school friends and even some interns from other tech companies around Seattle. Ryan’s house is gorgeous, overlooking the Sammamish River which opened into Lake Washington. I played lawn games, got into the hot tub, and ate burgers and hot dogs. Some people jumped in the river, but it was too cold for me.

Ryan invited me to his house for a 4th of July gathering.

After Ryan’s party, Neha, Edward, and I headed to Gas Works Park for fireworks. We got there just in time and made our way as far front as possible. The sky was an acrylic painting of sploshes as firework after firework exploded in the black night. Getting home afterwords was a little rough. All the buses were rerouted so there was no public transport option nearby. We walked a few blocks before attempting to use Lyft or Uber. Surge pricing was ridiculous and we couldn’t justify spending $60+ for a ride home. When we finally boarded a bus, we quickly realized it was a mistake. There was so much traffic and it took around 40 minutes to travel a few stoplights. We couldn’t even get off the bus because it’s illegal to open the door before reaching a bus stop (as we now know). We left the bus as soon as we could and ran to the freeway, from where we finally called an Uber for an acceptable price.

An amazing display of fireworks at Gas Works Park.

If I return to Microsoft next year, I’m set on becoming a PM intern. No matter how many people I talk to, I feel like I won’t know what it means to be a PM until I intern and live the life for at least a summer. The Explore Program set up mock interviews with current, full-time PMs so we could practice some questions. I had a lot of fun designing a lunch line for elementary school students and walking through the entire process on whiteboard.

In the middle of the week, on one beautiful, sunny day, our Camp Microsoft group had our last event for the summer: paddleboarding and kayaking at Lake Sammamish. I was the only one who showed up, so I spent the afternoon getting to know our leaders, Paris and Emma, better. When we were ready to get out on the water at 6:03 PM, the boat rental place said they had stopped renting out equipment at 6:00 PM. We were a little bummed, but the day was too pretty to waste so we continued chilling on the sand and ate some butter chicken/paneer pizza and ice cream. It was hot so we eventually went for a swim in the lake. It was so pleasant. The water kept fluctuating between warm and cold. I felt so refreshed!

An afternoon at Lake Sammamish.

To wrap up the week, Heath took all the interns to the café for some drinks and pastries. I enjoyed a Madras smoothie and chocolate chip muffin, while discussing our progress and talking about random topics. We ended our casual meeting rather quickly in time for the highly anticipated Belgium vs. Brazil soccer game.

A ‘Madras’ smoothie and chocolate chip muffin to end the week.

Right after our intern sync, we all gathered together in a conference room to watch the soccer game. In my opinion, it was one of the best showdowns in the World Cup so far. We even ordered some pizza to enjoy the match together, as a team.

On Saturday, Patrick, Edward, and I hiked Lake 22. It was about time I returned to the trails because it had been a while since I was around nature. The hike wasn’t bad at all and the view was incredible.

I had to capture all the shades of green.

I’m glad we left Lake 22 for July because the water wasn’t frozen and in my opinion more impressive. We got the best of everything: snow on the mountain, crystal clear water, low-hanging clouds, and a light rain.

We felt so small compared to everything around us — sheer beauty!

After a quick nap in the afternoon, we all headed to a small rooftop party hosted by Neha in U-District. I never get tired of the sunsets here and the one that evening was no exception. We sat around the fireplace and socialized with new faces. It was a sweet end to the day.

On Sunday, I mainly caught up with sleep. After recharging, in the afternoon, Edward and I walked to the Seattle Street Food Festival to check out the hundreds of food options present. We grabbed many food samples and hung out in the Uber Eats lounge. I ended the day by starting a Bollywood staple movie (or so I’ve been told): Lagaan. It’s more than 3 hours long so I’m only a quarter of the way through.

Edward and I stopped by the Seattle Street Food Festival.

I started off the week with a haircut and ended it with a clean shave. #newme? Most of the blond streaks are gone now and some people were shocked by the lack of facial hair. It’s just hair. It’ll grow back. It was time for a change.

This past week was productive, even though it was crazy. Despite being the week of 4th of July, there was always at least one person who could help either in person or remotely. Shout out to Vinh for helping us from Los Angeles even while being on vacation. I accomplished my goal of fixing all the comments on my PR and checking-in the code. My changes are now officially in the production pipeline. Here’s to continued progress and making the most of my time left!